16 Jun 2005

Rewriting Geography

Free textbooks given to government schools in Karnataka seem to be eager to readjust India's map a bit, as TOI reports. Mumbai, Mangalore, Marmagoa all seem to have been pushed into the sea to fend for themselves. A highly visionary and futuristic concept - reclamation on that scale.

The Principal Secretary, Primary and Secondary Education, clears the government printing press - that was given the job of printing - of any blame in the matter. It was a drafting error he claims.

Reminds me of a trip I made to a government school a few months ago, to apply for new voting cards for me and my wife. It was housed in a small building, on not more than a 30x40 ft site, in a visibly poor locality. It consisted of a narrow corridor of about 20-25 feet with a staircase leading up to the first floor, a staff room, and a class room, in that order, opening off the left side of the corridor. There was a black board with the day's headlines and thought for the day on the right wall and further along, a bulletin board.

The first thing that caught my eye was a group of ten-twelve year-old students huddled on the bare ground at the end of the corridor, and a young teacher, also sitting along with them, probably on a chair. Two students stood opposite each other against the walls holding the two ends of a map or some illustration. The teacher was pointing out details on the map with a long stick and the rest of the students were watching attentively. It was not very bright, but for the kids.

I didn't know whom to approach for my business. The teacher seeing me, got up with a worried look, and came up to me to find out what I wanted. When I told her she vanished into the class room to check with someone. Looking into the class room, I could see that two separate classes were being simulataneously conducted. The light was not very bright there either. The teacher came out and told me to wait since the person who would collect the application was in the staff room.

Soon I realised there was a fight going on in the staff room. About what, I could not guess. Two or three men seemed to be shouting at each other. This when classes were going on in the next room and in the corridor. After ten minutes or so, I was able to handover the application. The man who took it, probably the headmaster, seemed normal enough and showed no signs that anything untoward had occurred.

This is how we teach some of our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment