16 Jan 2007

Fools Rush In

Dear TOI,
You are not my representative. I voted for my representative in the last general elections. I don't remember his name, but it was not you. Thus you cannot claim this:
As your representatives, we will carry civil society’s torch of change to key figures in government, Opposition and others in office.
And I don't even want you to be my representative. You're sloppy. Take this stupid cartoon for example, from the 15th January, Bangalore edition. It's Dubyaman and Mr Jug Suraiya himself:

Though you take pains not to mention their relative ages here, there was only a three year difference between them. So, no, the fact that you came up with a dumb pun involving two words "father" and "daddy" does not allow you to use it in this context. Here's what sugar daddy means (from the American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms, no less: straight from the horse's mouth):
A wealthy, usually older man who gives expensive gifts to someone much younger in return for companionship or sexual favors. For example, The aspiring young actress and the sugar daddy are a classic combination in Hollywood. The sugar in this term alludes to the sweetening role of the gifts, and daddy to the age difference between the pair. [Early 1900s]
And I'm still waiting for the Gangsta movie from Mira Nair.

I too know a nice idiom: bugger off. A bit rude I'm sure, but it goes well with this sentence: stop calling yourself my representative.

Warm Regards,
Yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment